Articles with names of times of the day and night
Названиях частей суток употребляются без артиклей в следующих случаях:
Towards evening they went along to the restaurant car to have dinner.
All her life she always got up at dawn.
3. в предикативной функции; It was evening; the fishermen’s boats were returning one by one.
It was dusk, but the men were still at sea.
4. если перед ними стоят существительные, обозначающие день недели , или слова yesterday, tomorrow;
He was the man who had sat on the Carlton terrace on Thursday afternoon.
We’ll meet tomorrow morning.
5. в словосочетаниях адвербиального характера (в функции обстоятельства) all day (long), all night (long), day after day, day in day out, from morning till night, night after night, day and night (night and day), from day to day:
The messenger rode day and night stopping only to change horses.
Workers at the first manufactures were made to work from morning till night.
Quietly Dr. Walker went to his work day after day.
He told me how the sun set there on a spring afternoon. It was a frosty night.
В случае с прилагательными late, early,high, broad артикль отсутствует:
It was early morning.
By late afternoon the guests began to arrive for the official birthday party.
It was high noon. By the time they had all gone it was broad day
1. когда речь идет о каком-то конкретном времени суток, что понятно из контекста или ситуации:
The rain had stopped and the night was starry.
The day came when he told her that he loved her.
The morning of his departure was raw and he was wearing a greatcoat.
2. в общем (родовом ) значении: He spent the morning working at his novel and the afternoon walking in the fields.
3. после предлогов in, during through (in the morning, in the night, in the evening, in the daytime, in the afternoon, during the night, during the day, through the night, through the day, etc.):
It was six o’clock in the afternoon when he finally put the book down.
«The new edition came in the morning”, the salesman said. ‘I’ll get you a copy of the book.»
«Perhaps one of the dogs knocked the parcel to the floor during the night,» I spoke placating.
It snowed all through the night, and in the morning we saw that we were cut off from the world.
Note. После предлога for возможны оба артикля, определенный и неопределенный. Выбор зависит от смысла высказывания:
I must go to Sheffield for the day (the day is specified-день определен)
I must go to Sheffield for a day (for one day; it is not specified which day it is – на один день, день не определен).
He thought that he had seen the man come into the hotel lobby in company with McKinnon the other morning.